4/13/2009

Marathon day

So lately I've been trying to see how many activities I can pack into one day, it's been pretty fun.  The other day I started out with a big backcountry ski trip, then went to some bike jumps, then went to Doug Dalton's pumptrack.  The ski trip was pretty unique because it was a route that no one is allowed to ski except for on special occasions.  The trip was with a few Sundance ski resort patrollers, and we we're lucky enough to get to take the lift up to the top of the resort where we started climbing, even though the resort was closed for the season!  From there we started skinning up the ridge above the resort (skinning is when you put "skins" on the bottom of your skis that enable you to walk up the hill, they stick to the snow so you won't slide backwards but will slide forward).  The climb was mostly on pretty narrow ridgeline and it definitely kept you on your toes the whole time, one mistake could send you for quite a ride down the hill.  It took us about 2-2.5 hours of climbing to get to the top, including a couple sections that we had to put our skis on our back and climb on our hands and knees because it was so steep, 53 degrees to be exact!  The way back down was awesome, we had great snow and got to make a ton of good turns all the way down.  

After I got done skiing I went home quick, changed clothes, grabbed my Steel Reserve and my dog and pinned it down to i-street where I met up with Derek and Blake and some other friends.  Had a good session there, and then we all drove back up to Doug Dalton's house for a quick pump track session before dark.  It was a pretty fun day, I'll keep you updated as I try and pack in more activities!

My friend Tracy who got me in on this trip.  If you look closely in this picture you can see the top of the resort on the snowy point at the top of the photo, thats where we climbed from.  We're about halfway up here.
My sweet Unity skis, they are huge!!  That's Deer Creek reservoir in the background.
Our tracks coming down the first pitch, with one guy skiing.
Caleb Cambern, making a guest appearance from Colorado.
The legendary double D, shredding the home pump track with his dog Raven.


No comments: